Instagram

About

Welcome to Tayyib Wellbeing, a lifestyle blog that aims to promote happiness and good health through simple, achievable, and easily attainable lifestyle choices.

The Meaning:

The word ‘tayyib’ is of Arabic origin, with a general meaning of pure, wholesome, organic, and good. This fits with the general philosophy of Tayyib Wellbeing– that a wholesome and fulfilling life is built on all things pure and good; good for your mind, good for your body, good for your soul, and without doubt, good for the planet.

Read my article on the importance of ‘tayyib’

The Inspiration:

A couple of years ago, I came across a research claim that suggested our happiness levels are influenced by a whopping 40% choice. The remaining 60% was attributed to 50% genes and only a 10% slither to personal circumstance. This initially seemed unfathomable, but when the researchers then highlighted the story of an Indian rickshaw driver, raising his growing family in borderline poverty, their happy smiles and overall evident appreciation of life revealed happiness levels of no less than (in fact higher than) a large number of us living in the comfortable, affluent West.

So if happiness is achievable even without the basic necessities of comfortable living, how come so many of us safely housed, well-fed, securely employed Westerners are regularly experiencing emptiness, unfulfillment, and misery? 

According to the House of Commons Mental Health Statistics for England in April 2018, an estimated 1 in 6 people experienced a ‘common mental disorder’ like depression or anxiety in the week before being surveyed.

Personally, I think it could be damaging and hugely patronising to take the claim that ‘happiness is a choice’ at face value. We cannot simply assume that anyone suffering unhappiness – either by circumstance or mental illness – can just ‘snap out of it’ and wake up happy if they choose to. However, I do strongly believe that all of us, regardless of our situation or physical or psychological conditions, have the power to significantly influence and improve our overall health, happiness, and life satisfaction, by incorporating some very simple, but very positive, lifestyle choices.

The Content:

As a mental health professional with a strong interest in psychology, nutrition, and naturopathy – and how all three can correlate and compliment each other! – the subjects I explore and write about are likely to be of interest, and hopefully some benefit, to anyone seeking to live as happy and fulfilling life as possible.

As a practicing Muslim, my faith often features in the articles I publish. This doesn’t mean, however, that this blog is exclusively for Muslim readers. In many ways, Islamic practices and teachings hugely compliment the topic of health and wellbeing, as you will see plenty of evidence of in my posts. Our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) taught and practiced many of the physical, psychological and spiritual approaches that modern-day scientists and wellness coaches are preaching today – the 5:2 diet, for example.

The majority of my posts are distributed between four main categories: Mind, Body, Soul, and Lifestyle. Explore these themes below, and take time to browse through the blog – hopefully you will stumble upon something that resonates with you, and inspires you to bring more tayyibinto your life.

I love to receive feedback, so do feel free to leave me a comment at the bottom of any of my posts, or get in touch via my Contact page.

Happy reading 🙂